Decided to play with my model 2 PAL Saturn after a 1 year hiatus only to be greeted by no video(still sends out a sync signal)/audio, no laser movement, disc doesn't spin but the system does have the green power light.
The PAL Saturn appears to be a VA5 as the serial number starts with 165.
I've tried running it with no battery and with a new battery. I've disassembled the console entirely and cleaned all of the connectors and ribbon cables with isopropyl alcohol, but no luck. Caps appear to look fine, but i could be wrong. I've also measured the voltages on the power supply and those are round about what they should be.
Short of changing the crystals and the caps, not much. Changing the caps especially around the PLL area will help the setup get a more stable clock, but it seems the crystals are just getting too dodgy and the Saturn is extremely susceptible to that.